Welcome to CARA Wales, agricultural and rural consultancy and advice. We offer an individual, unbiased and efficient service to help move your business forward.

Archive for July, 2019

Making Tax Digital (MTD)

Thursday, July 11th, 2019

VAT registered businesses with a turnover above the VAT registration threshold (currently £85,000) are now required to keep digital VAT business records and use MTD-compatible software to send returns for VAT periods that started on or after 01 April 2019. Businesses whose taxable turnover fall below the current VAT threshold can also sign up for MTD for VAT voluntarily.

CARA Ltd currently has capacity to take on new clients for VAT. Please contact Wendy Jenkins on 01570 471516 / 07929 164012 for further details.

Natural Resources Wales – Waste Exemption Certificates

Thursday, July 11th, 2019

If your business uses, treats , recovers, stores or disposes of waste you may need a environmental permit to allow certain activities involving waste to be carried out. Most farmers manage waste in some form, so will need to be registered. There are about 60 waste exemptions, with those most relevant to farmers being;

  • D1 depositing dredgings from streams and ditches on the banks
  • D7 burning untreated wood or vegetation at the farm
  • S1 storing waste in secure containers
  • S2 storing waste in a secure place
  • S3 storing sewage sludge prior to spreading
  • T1 cleaning agricultural plastics and containers
  • T6 chipping wood and plant tissue
  • T23 composting vegetation waste
  • T24 anaerobic digestion of manure and slurry
  • U1 using clean builders rubble in the foundations of a new barn or shed, tracks or roads
  • U8 using waste tyres on a silage clamp or waste wood shavings as animal bedding
  • U10 spreading waste to agricultural land to provide benefit

Each registration lasts 3 years, and will then expire unless you re-register the exemptions you want to continue to use. To register/re-register online, please visit the NRW website by clicking here. Alternatively, you can call the Customer Care Centre on  0300 065 3000 who will advise you on how to register.

A number of registrations are due to expire in the Autumn of 2019 – you can check your expiry date by accessing the Public Register on the NRW website and entering the relevant search parameters.

If you require further assistance or advice with your registration, please contact the CARA office on  01570 471516.